Friday, May 9, 2014

A Different Set of Values

Watching the kids play in Haiti I was disturbed by how quick the older and stronger kids were to take toys from the smaller and younger kids. My 'values meter' was telling me: They Should Share!

I didn't know the Creole words to spread my value so, I ignored it, and processed on it.

As I thought about my value of sharing it occurred to me that sharing is a luxury. Sharing requires that there is some type of abundance. Abundance or time or resources. Haiti, and these kids don't have abundance. Outside of the walls of that orphanage it is a dog-eat-dog world. The weak are taken advantage of, and cast aside. The strong thrive.

Sharing is a luxury that we teach our kids because it makes sense in our world.  It doesn't make sense in theirs.

It pains me to see that one of my values doesn't apply in Haiti. That teaching these kids to share could be a disservice to them.

Value of Team

It occurs to me though that while sharing may not be a value that applies to Haiti a similar value, teamwork, does.

I think of the group of orphans at Harvest Care and I want to let them know that together they are better. Outside of those walls are a bunch of individuals watching out for themselves... but if they work together they can be greater than any one person.

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12 NLT

A team of 12+ kids seems like a great team to me. It is much more than a rope. It is a brick wall, where I hope God is their foundation, providing rebar reinforcement.



No comments:

Post a Comment